Sunday, April 11, 2021

Wedding Plans

Yes, I know. When you've lived with someone for twenty-eight years, it hardly seems worth getting married, does it? It's like announcing to your family that you've bought a pet after they've been looking after Fido or Tiddles for you every time you've gone on holiday for the past three decades. 

        As a statement of romantic commitment, it seems hardly worth saying, does it? When you've shared a home with a person for so long, you've kinda made it clear that you're prepared to tolerate his noisy eating and the way he re-interprets your instructions to suit himself, because he's such a good nurse when you're ill and he's so thoughtful and kind - or, in his case, that he can tolerate your outbursts of irrational rage and your nagging because you’re so sexy and beautiful...

        It was Covid what dun it, gov. We were all plunged into this terrible pandemic and suddenly it seemed like maybe we ought to tie the knot finally after all. I mean, if we're on our way to Apocalypse Very Soon, we ought to be legally-bound to each other in respectable matrimony, didn't we? That will surely ensure we survive the End Times, won't it? - or at least that we’ve one good party before one or both of us expires.

        Initially, we wanted to just sneak off to the register office and commit to each other secretly and privately. No fuss. No Oom-pah-pah. We wouldn't even have to tell anyone (except the registrar and the witnesses). If we didn't have the money for a fully-fledged 'proper' wedding, then we could have a very cheap clandestine one instead. What a hoot! Everyone would think we were still living in sin, when, unbeknown to them, in fact we'd actually be legally wed. It could be our guilty secret. I mean, I actually like the notion that I've been 'living in sin' for twenty-eight years - it sounds racy and exciting, even though the reality is that it's exactly like being married but without the rings and the tax breaks. I like my friend referring to my partner as my 'Live-in Lover' - way cooler than 'my husband'! So being secretly married would have meant we looked like unconventional rebels on the outside while, behind the scenes, being boringly betrothed.

        My sister put paid to that idea by pointing out that, if it ever got out (and, of course, inevitably, it would), our respective mums would be upset that they hadn't been invited to the wedding. So we gritted our teeth and booked the slightly larger ceremony suite at the Town Hall. As it turned out, my mum was mystified and told us she thought we were already married (?), and partner's mum was horrified at the thought of having to leave her house to attend the ceremony (self-isolation has become a way of life for her). She refused to go to the meal afterwards point-blank due to her belief that restaurants would a) serve her food she couldn’t actually eat (she considers capsicum peppers to be dangerously exotic) and/or b) give her portions far too large for human consumption.

        And this was only the start of what I can tell is going to become a typical Wilford-Badger catalogue of, if not exactly disasters, at least muddles. misunderstandings and potential mayhem. For one thing, I will have to wear high heels and that means, given my recent track record, there’s a high chance I’ll fall over at some point during the ceremony, probably while reciting my vows. I'm not kidding - this is a serious possibility. My most recent fall was during a sedate walk on a completely flat canal path, while wearing completely flat walking shoes. On that occasion, I landed face down, performed a comic skid and my head rebounded against the floor like a gong against a cymbal but less melodically. And then I made it worse by shouting ‘F***ing sh***ing hell, not again!’ at the top of my voice just as a couple in their mid-nineties sprinted over to ask if they could help. Hands laminated with industrial grit, forehead swelling to Klingon-like proportions, and muttering apologies, I hobbled to a nearby wall next to a road to wait for partner to bring the car round, and pretended I always went hiking wearing trousers with the knees ripped out and with only one lens in my glasses. I have a friend who also falls over a lot, and we don’t tend to go out for walks together in public any more for fear of being mistaken for Abbott and Costello.

So walking slowly across a carpeted indoor room will be no guarantee that I won’t fall over. Some of these municipal carpets have really thick piles.

 







 


13 comments:

  1. I didn't realize you weren't already married either! Congratulations on taking the plunge x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been engaged a VERY long time. We just never got round to making it legal. We refer to each other as husband and wife. Thanks for reading the blog, Katherine.

      Delete
    2. What fabulous news Lou, very pleased for you both. Looking forward to reading your wedding stories and all that follows. Try not to fall again before you take the plunge !
      Julie x

      Delete
  2. This made me properly laugh out loud and I love your illustration! I will keep my fingers crossed that you and your outfit both make it to the 'altar' in one piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the support, Ruth! I might use a walking frame...

      Delete
  3. I'd have married him based on his surname alone! I was blessed with the clumsy gene (my children have it too). I have learned to style it out. If you end up in a nose to floor situation just tell everyone you were showing off your outfit.... It will be fine x

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'Live-in Lover'
    Tell your friend I'm going to use that for mine! I loooove that term. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's really cool, isn't it?!

      Delete
    2. I have become a figure of fun within my family due to my propensity to fall over. It really is ridiculous (not to mention painful!).

      Delete
  5. Oh, Lou, what a wonderful image you conjured up in my mind, a pray-fall of epic proportions.
    As one who once (aged 15) fell into the Grand Union Canal while on a sedate walk along the bank, and then had to walk around soaked through and stinking of Canada Goose sh*t for the next few hours until my mum and step-dad were ready to go home, you have my utmost sympathies.
    I also cannot so much as sit still in heels without managing to turn my ankle over.
    Congrats on becoming a boring lady at last,
    Beck x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I have a mental image of you soaking wet and smelling like Canada Goose sh*t, which actually tops my story! And at age 15? That must have been seriously embarrassing for a teenager! Thanks for reading the blog!

      Delete
  6. Many congratulations to the two of you. Onwards for the next 28 years and beyond Lou. May your pricely hubby and the warm spring sunshine that I see through my window today perk you back up each time you kiss the carpet. I declared myself a gardener yesterday [again after many failures]and bought some 12-foot-tall bamboos from B and Q. Lovely to see how they sway and bend in the wind as the sun twinkles off their leaves. You keep bouncing back off the floorboards lady.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too have the clumsy gene. I invited the poet Wendy Cope to talk to the students at Orpington College and it all went well until I was showing her out to the lift on the 9th floor when I slipped on a polished floor and went down with such a bang she wanted to drive me to hospital. It made me scramble up and insist brightly that I was fine, but my face was bright red with embarrassment, not brain damage. Not as good a story as the canal with attendant goose sh*t.

    ReplyDelete