Sunday, June 13, 2021

Thoughts from The Bunker

 'You can tell she's a poet...'


Many people who know me are surprised to discover that I've made my living for several decades as an English teacher, and that I'm a published writer.

You see, I’m not very impressive, verbally.

            Firstly, there’s my voice. It’s unreliable and doesn’t always emerge with quite the power or melodiousness I would ideally desire, particularly if I’m nervous or it’s hay fever season. It can sound, quite randomly, thin and nasal, squeaky, croaky, harsh or too deep. I’m not saying it’s a voice that’s weird enough to make me memorable (being a female Joe Pasquale or that supermarket manager in the sitcom Superstore could be quite useful on occasion). But my vocal apparatus doesn’t have the dulcet tones I would like it to have.

            Also, I have a self-conscious accent. I was brought up in a very working-class neighbourhood and attended a very bog-standard comprehensive. At my school, being academically clever was not a route to popularity and only three things saved me from being a bully-magnet: a) my spooky ability to fade into the background; b) the fact that I had as little respect for most of my teachers or for school rules as any of the less academic pupils; and c) my refusal to modify my regional accent. In fact, for a while, in my late teens, it actually grew broader and more expletive-filled due to a particularly ‘local’ boyfriend.

Later, at university, and particularly when I moved to London, my South Yorkshire accent rubbed off to a great extent. You can’t live in a place for eleven years without the local speech patterns affecting you to some degree. It reached a point where, when we finally moved back up north and I took a job as Head of English at a local college, my new students told me I sounded ‘posh’. They were wrong and I can prove it: I was once asked for the time by a Scotsman on Sevenoaks railway station – all I said was ‘It’s ten to seven’ and, like Glasgow’s answer to Henry Higgins, he immediately responded: ‘Barnsley, right, hen?’

Anyway, these days my accent wobbles around a lot, depending on how I feel and who I’m talking to. It’s a nightmare when I’m faced with people from different ‘categories’ simultaneously – like when I used to talk to my very broad-accented sister on the phone while sitting in the living room of my genuinely posh landlady, or when I meet a new work colleague while out with an old school friend.

In addition to these flaws, I sometimes get tongue-tied, repeat things, mumble, get the giggles inappropriately, and occasionally manifest a mild stutter inherited from my dad. This is particularly pronounced when I am suffering from pre-menstrual – or, these days, post-menopausal – social awkwardness. Chatting to me must, at times, be like conversing with George VI (if he had a South Yorkshire accent and suffered from hot flushes).

 But it isn’t just the mechanics of pitch, tone and accent. It’s also the stuff I say. My partner often cuts me off at social gatherings just as I launch into an anecdote, which I assume is an act of mercy on behalf of the listeners (but which might, of course, actually be a chauvinistic impulse to shut the little woman up). You see, I constantly go off the point. I will begin by talking about labrador retrievers, veer off into a digression on house prices, do a quick u-turn into my opinions on the rising popularity of handicrafts during lockdown, segue into a diatribe against Boris Johnson, before ending with a description of the last time I saw the sea. Most people can’t be arsed to keep up, and who can blame them?



Another issue is that I do that ‘female-shortcut’ thing – if you’re a woman, you’ll almost certainly know what I mean. It involves referring to things, usually people, by an apparently random feature (a kind of synecdoche or metonym, I guess), and assuming your listener will understand. I used to work in an office with several other teachers, and I would often have conversations with my female colleagues that went like this:

‘I saw Spiky Hair this morning.’

‘Oh? Was he chewing his homework?’

‘No, he was with that tall woman - Three Earrings In One Ear, Teaches Drama. I expect you’ll get a visit soon. He was being told off.’

‘His problem is his mates. He hangs around with that girl – Red Face, Ripped Jeans…’

‘I know. And that awful lad – Skinny, Whiny, Skinhead?’

‘Yeah, he’s a real pain.’

As we chatted, the men in the office would stare at us in bemusement as if we were talking an obscure dialect of Middle-English.

            Then there is my propensity to simply go blank in the middle of conversations. I will be happily rolling along when suddenly I’ll experience ‘vocabulary blindness’:  ‘Oh, he was in that TV drama, you know, family on an island – no, not Swiss Family Robinson – novelist, zookeeper, mad sister…’.

And sometimes, even worse, I just coin new words.  Often ridiculous words. Often words I don’t notice immediately that I’ve invented. [I’m not alone in this. A friend of P’s (another woman, I’m afraid) once conflated ‘airhead’ and ‘space-cadet’, resulting in her referring to a gormless teenager as ‘a complete air cadet’. The same woman is also famous for claiming that ‘everything went ape-shaped’ – she was aiming for either ‘pear-shaped’ or ‘ape-shit’, but missed. So it’s not just me, ok?]

            Today, we were driving home from a shopping trip and I was giving P the benefit of my theory that car horns should be banned. This is a perfectly plausible theory, based on the fact that I can’t envisage any situation where a car horn would actually improve matters.

            ‘All horners do,’ I said, earnestly, ‘is to increase the base level of stress and irritation.’

            ‘Horners?’ he said.

            ‘Yes, people who are always horning.’

            This was followed by a moment’s silence, after which P, who was driving, burst out laughing and nearly wobbled into the wrong lane on the M1. It took me a few moments to realise what he found so funny.

            This is like when I once loudly instructed P, in a gift shop in Lyme Regis, to ‘Look at that pair of jugs’. Or recently when I told a fourteen year old male student that ‘dog’ could be used as a verb as well as a noun (I meant you could dog someone’s footsteps, not engage in the other kind of dogging). I just don’t hear myself…

            You can probably understand now why people are often surprised to learn that I’m a teacher and a writer.

And why I’m now worried about saying my vows out loud on my wedding day.

6 comments:

  1. I totally get the women thing, talking about people via descriptions of their outstanding qualities. I used to interview dozens of people regularly with another female manager and we would remember people as purple top, inappropriate low blouse, the cleavage and shiny trousers ... for example. It works as a great memory tool when you have loads of names to remember. I think it is normal not to like the sound of your own voice. I hate hearing mine and I'm sure yours isn't as bad as you think it is. I totally believe you are a writer and an author, and would love to meet you in person as I am sure your online persona is not that dissimilar to your real life one. And if you want to meet someone who can digress - I am exceptionally qualified!!! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your voice is all right Louise and I like your accent, much more interesting than my southern drawl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks - not sure who I'm replying to, however! I do like regional accents of all kinds, but I find my own accent has become a hybrid that can suddenly become really broad at inappropriate moments or else ends up sounding like I'm trying to be 'posh', when I'm really not! It all depends on your perspective. I have friends who speak much more broadly than me and consider me to sound 'Southern'! And I have other friends, mostly southern, who think I sound very northern. I love regional accents, southern ones as well as northern ones, but there are still lots of stereotypes associated with different accents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From now on I shall use the noun: horners. to be perfectly honest, I feel a fool not to have been using it all these years. Surely, part of a writers job is to meld words to suit their purpose? Carry on Louing, that's what I say!

    ReplyDelete