Saturday, March 5, 2022

WHY YOU SHOULD READ NOVELS:

On Facebook recently, I spotted this list of reasons why people should read novels, and I thought I'd add my own interpretations of each point being made:

FACT 1: Reading can make you a better conversationalist

“Have you read The Girl On The Train? No, Oh great, let me give you a detailed summary of the plot, then – and don’t worry, I’ll have to go back numerous times to fill in details I forgot and there’ll be lots of pauses while I try to remember the names of characters, but you’re not to jump in during those pauses as I intend to get right to the end.” 

Fact 2: Neighbours will never complain that your book is too loud

Until you throw your hardback copy of Midnight’s Children at the partition wall in frustration.

Fact 3: Knowledge by osmosis has never been perfected. You’d better read.

I learned everything I know about Narnia and Middle-Earth from books.

Fact 4: Books have stopped bullets – reading might save your life.

Only if they are shaped like a Kevlar vest, or made out of bullet-proof glass.

Fact 5: Dinosaurs didn’t read. Look what happened to them.

They evolved into birds which massively outnumber humans – there are 40-60 birds for every human currently on the planet.

The only reason to read a work of fiction is because you enjoy it. Nothing else makes it worth it.

Except (maybe) in order to pass your Eng Lit exams…

 

 









No comments:

Post a Comment