Saturday, May 14, 2022

Book review: A writer’s opinion on The Chronicles Of St Mary's by Jodi Taylor

 The Chronicles Of St Mary’s by Jodie Taylor

I have mentioned this series before but I thought I would add some further comments as I have been re-reading them over the past month.




I first read them more than a decade ago, but abandoned them around Book Five due to getting confused by all the characters and bored by what felt like the increasingly contrived plot twists.

This time round, I found that I was easily able to differentiate between characters and keep them all in my head. Either I have become more skilled at doing this (unlikely!), or I just wasn’t concentrating when I first read them. I am also continuing to enjoy the episodes when the historians of St Mary’s go back in time to revisit key events. Last time, I was beginning to grow a little bored with these adventures, mainly because of the stress of knowing they always seem to go wrong. Though Jodi Taylor takes some liberties with the known facts now and then, in general I have actually learned a lot about many historical events about which I only had a sketchy knowledge previously.

The plot twists are still mildly irritating, but this is a problem for all writers of novel series. You get new ideas which have to be woven into the existing books, and sometimes that requires some major rejigging of the narrative. This can lead to stretching the reader’s suspension of disbelief a little in places.

Time travel stories are always tricksy, and writers often have to disguise bloop-holes with a lot of camouflage. In Taylor’s universe, historians can only visit a specific place in time once – multiple versions of one individual cannot exist simultaneously, though it is unclear what would actually happen if they did. This doesn’t explain however why they can’t travel back to a slightly earlier point in time in order to put right the various catastrophes that happen to St Mary’s staff when they go back in time. Surely, their ongoing search for Clive Ronan could be resolved rapidly if they just went back to an hour before he committed his first crime and shot him dead then?  Yes, yes, I know. Time paradoxes. The moral conundrum of whether it is right to kill someone who hasn’t committed a crime as yet. Blah di blah. Writers have to come up with increasingly arcane and convoluted reasons for why time travellers like Dr Who  or Michael Burnham can’t just go back in time and put right their own mistakes. I tend to take the line taken by Terry Pratchett’s fabulously arrogant wizards – if they are here in the past and stand on a butterfly, then they had always been here in the past in order to stand on the butterfly, even when they were in the present. They changed nothing, because it had already been changed by them. Yeah, thinking about time-travel does give you a headache.

And anyway, in Taylor’s stories, Leon Farrell and Dr Bairstow are from the future anyway but have settled in the past, and Max visits a future St Mary’s several times (and some of them visit the older St Mary’s), and the Time Police are based in the future…

My only other niggle is the character of the central protagonist and narrator, Dr Madeleine ‘Max’ Maxwell. Someone said to me a while back that she found Max irritating, and that made me realise that so did I.  Max is undoubtedly a lively, witty, cynical, brave, self-deprecating, good-natured woman, so why would I find her irritating? Taylor does an excellent job of conveying her personality, which is consistent throughout. She makes her vulnerable, a survivor of child abuse, a damaged woman with supposedly low self-esteem, who is something of a disaster-magnet, but who survives due to her strength of character and intelligence. I ought to love her!  But in fact, she often annoys me to hell. Her constant misunderstanding of what other characters mean or say, particularly her significant other, Leon, often feels like a plot contrivance. I find myself thinking ‘Oh, for god’s sake, Maxwell, just have a proper conversation, then you would avoid a lot of heart-ache and I wouldn’t have to read about it for the next ten pages’. I’m also uncomfortable with her apparent ability to let her son Matthew be more or less brought up by the Time Police, after he has been lost to her for seven years in horrendous circumstances. I find it slightly irritating that her best friends are all men – Leon, Peterson, Markham (she is close friends with Kal for two books but then she goes off to join Thirsk University) – though I’m not sure exactly why this annoys me. And I am deeply irritated by the fact that she always surprised when men find her attractive, when clearly she is a woman men fancy – she is short, but curvy, with masses of gorgeous red hair. But these are silly niggles as Taylor has written Max accurately and plausibly, and also readers don’t have to adore a character to enjoy a story.

So, overall, if I ignore the wish-fulfilment sex scenes between Max and Leon (which are certainly not the worst sex scenes I’ve ever read by a long way, but they are slightly excruciating to me nevertheless), the slightly irritating aspects of the protagonist’s personality, and the sometimes implausible plot shenanigans, I am enjoying the books this time round. Oh, and some of the set-piece ‘comic’ scenes are becoming wearisome as the novels progress, but that’s in the nature of such things and Taylor does a good job of them on the whole. I can see why this series has been so successful and I think they deserve their success.

 

Updated rating:   **** [well worth a read if you like entertaining comic-fantasy and disreputable heroines]

No comments:

Post a Comment